Pikes Peak APEX presented by RockShox Statement on the Pandemic
COVID-19 has been a major disruption to the way we all go about our daily lives. In no place is this more evident than in the world of sports events. We feel terrible for the race directors who have had to cancel events and the athletes that were planning on participating. We are hopeful that our late September date will allow us time for restrictions to pass and for us to put safety measures in place to run our event.
We are working closely with our medical director, local city and state officials, health department, and USA Cycling to deliver an event where our staff, volunteers, and athletes feel safe and secure. We are looking at all options as we balance the objectives of making the Pikes Peak APEX an event that will excite participants, while also giving them confidence about their safety at the event. To address these priorities, we are considering possible changes to race format, start/finish areas, and auxiliary activities. In addition to the race, we have been looking forward to a hosting a kickoff reception, an expo with beer garden, and an after party in downtown Colorado Springs. We understand that some of these activities planned for the Pikes Peak APEX may not be possible. Our team is working through these details, and we will share them as soon as we can.
Whatever the case may be, we want you to know that your entry fee is safe whether you have already registered or if you are planning on registering. Here are some different scenarios involving entry fees and refunds that we may see happen because of event cancellation due to COVID-19.
- Plan A (most likely): We hold the event as planned and our refund policy is below under "Standard Refund Notes." Let’s Rock!
- Plan B: We are forced to postpone the event into October or even early November. There could be a couple of course changes as we are starting to get into winter up high on Pikes Peak, but we will still run a 4-day event in 2020 if possible. In this scenario we will do one of two things if you can’t make it—either give you a 2021 entry at no additional charge (including service fees, even if 2021 prices increase), OR refund 90% of your entry fee (not including BikeReg service fees). Not perfect, but giddy-up anyway.
- Plan C: We are unable to run an event in 2020. In this case, we will either give you a 2021 entry at no additional charge (including service fees, even if 2021 prices increase) or give you 100% of your entry fee back (not including BikeReg fees). Bummer, but that’s the way it goes.
Standard Refund notes (see cancellation/postponement situations above):
- Refund requests will be accepted up to July 1, 2020. We will give a refund in the amount of 90% of your registration payment not including the BikeReg service fees.
- 100% of your registration fee (not including BikeReg service fees) can be put toward a 2021 entry in the case of injury or extenuating circumstances at any point before September 1, 2020.
- You can transfer your entry to someone else for a $25 charge up until September 1, 2020.
- After Sept. 1, 2020 the only option will be to put your entry fee toward a 2021 entry fee minus a 20% fee to pay for items that the event has already purchased in expectation of your participation.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: If I have already registered and the Pikes Peak APEX doesn’t get cancelled but I don’t feel comfortable participating, can I get a refund or transfer to next year? A: Yes—you can transfer 100% of your paid entry fee (not including BikeReg fee) to our 2021 event. You can also get a cash refund of 90% of your entry fee if you choose.
Q: When will the Pikes Peak APEX make a final call on if the event will go off as planned? A: Our plan is to make a final decision for go or no-go in the first week of August. That will give everyone around six weeks to cancel their travel plans.
Q: If the event is cancelled and my paid entry is credited to next year, what if there is a price increase for 2021? A: If we have to cancel the 2020 edition of the Pikes Peak APEX, we will transfer your entry to 2021 with no additional fees even if the price increases. Our expected dates for next year are September 23-26, 2021.
Q: What are the chances of the event getting postponed to a later date in 2020? A: Chances of this are very low, but possible. October is a busy month for cycling events, and we will be running into snow on Pikes Peak quickly. There is a small window of time to postpone, but this is unlikely.
Q: Is there another option for entry fees outside of a refund or a transfer? A: Of course! We are happy to donate your entry fee to the Trail Stewardship Fund at the Pikes Peak Outdoor Recreation Alliance. If you choose to do this, PPORA will send you a donation letter for this tax-deductible contribution.