Join the Pikes Peak APEX Strava Challenge
This year, we continue the tradition of previewing the first big climb of the 2021 event with a challenge up Mt. Herman Road. This classic climb out of the Town of Monument is the first shake out of the 2021 APEX in Friday’s first long stage. Come test your fitness and see what you can do! And who knows—maybe you will win a free entry to our event in September.
The Pikes Peak APEX presented by RockShox is excited to announce a challenge open to those who live in or near Colorado Springs. Starting this Saturday, April 24th and running through May 16th, we want to see who can post the fastest time up Mt. Herman Road.
What’s up for grabs? The male and female who post the fastest times between April 24th and May 16th will win a complimentary entry for the Pikes Peak APEX!
How to enter? It’s simple.
Tell us about your effort up Mt. Herman! Share your photos and videos and tag us in your posts and use #PikesPeakAPEX. We'll be watching and reposting our favorites!
Don’t live near Colorado Springs? We don't want to leave you out of the fun! The non-local Pikes Peak APEX Strava Club member who posts the closest guess to the combined winning times will receive a complimentary entry for the Pikes Peak APEX.
How can you participate? Even easier.
- Join the Pikes Peak APEX Strava Club.
- Go to our post announcing the Pikes Peak APEX Strava Challenge.
- Post a 'comment' with your best guest for the total combined time of the fastest male and female times during the competition. Hint: the current male time is 38:49 and current female time is 52:04 for a combined total of 1:30:53.
- You must post/comment with your guess before the competition starts this Saturday! Submit your guess no later than Saturday, April 24th at 8am MDT to be eligible.
That’s it. Good luck, and may the winds be in your favor!
- No motor assist bikes or assistance from other motorized vehicles.
- Riders must observe any local, state or federal social distancing guidelines that are in place during their attempt. The road is open to cars, so please pay extra attention, and obey all traffic rules!
- You must be a member of the Pikes Peak APEX Strava Club to be eligible, so don’t forget to join BEFORE attempting your ride.
- We have a team of virtual cycling forensic scientists who will be spending many hours poring over results. So, if you are shaving 50% off your best times, we will be flagging those.
- This prize has no cash value and cannot be sold to another person. The male and female with the best time each receive a complimentary entry for the Pikes Peak APEX. This entry cannot be transferred to anyone else. If winners have already paid to enter, the complimentary registration will transfer to a 2022 entry.
- We are only looking at the times for this segment: Mt. Herman Climb—APEX Strava Challenge, 7.79 Miles and 1955 feet of climbing.
- Attempt must be made between the dates April 24 and May 16, 2021. The attempt must be uploaded to Strava no later than 12:00 PM MDT on May 16th. Yes, current KOM and QOM riders have to attempt it again during those dates—they don’t automatically win if no one gets a new KOM/QOM.
- Winners will be announced in the Pikes Peak APEX newsletter on May 18th.
- You can’t participate in both the locals event and the non-locals event. If you ride the challenge, you are not eligible to guess the winning times.